Thursday, March 12, 2009

Finally Started Working on My Website

Going to try to get this blog post done earlier today, so I can get to bed on time, and maybe get up early tomorrow. Maybe I will be more productive that way.

Time Log -
Midnight last night - to bed
2 am - Emma woke up, I put her binky in her mouth, back to bed
3:30 am - She woke up again, same thing, back to bed
4:00 am or so - She woke up, would not be comforted, so I picked her up, and we had a hard time on the couch, she fidgeted a lot, could not get comfortable, she has a hacking, wheezing noise going on now, if there's another night of this, we'll go to the doctor
5 am ? - I took her to my bed, and eventually we both fell asleep
9:15 am - we got up (yes, the older two children got themselves off to school), gave her a bottle & the boob tube, went downstairs to check email, and looked at Wilton products online, started blog post
9:50 am - do laundry, change Emma's diaper, dress her, sat down to make her a purple binky clip to match her outfit (sometimes you just want to be pretty, even at home), but I gave myself a mental slap and told myself to not get distracted, went downstairs to exercise
10:50 to 11:20 am - exercised on Gazelle, think I will try a higher resistance next time, it might be getting too easy
11:20 am - get Connor some food, wash dishes (this means I wash the big pans, Dani & Gil are the dishwasher loaders and undloaders), feed Emma, put some of the food away, make my breakfast
12:05 pm - sit down at the upstairs computer to file some of my email, and get started on my website, probably wasted 20 min on some British news website
12:50 pm - change Foofie's blow-out diaper, take the dirty laundry downstairs, this inspires me to do the whites, which makes me want to take a shower, so I can put those dirty whites in the laundry, I got showered & dressed, went back upstairs, put Emma down for a nap
1:30 pm - back on the computer
2:05 pm - can't keep my eyes open, ate some lunch, then laid down on the couch
3:15 pm - Emma woke up, so I tried to be productive again, got distracted by looking at more nostalgic teen flicks on Amazon, Dani & Gil are home, help Emma & Connor
3:55 pm - downstairs to my laptop to see if I can get some more done, help kids off & on, it was a hard fight to not go to my bed for a nap, but was able to start on figuring out my website. I'm starting from scratch this time, but using an online server called HostMonster, who provides a lot of support. The last time I had a website, and learned programming, was a shocking six to seven years ago, and of course, I've run into problems on eBay because my knowledge of website programming is so out of date. So, I wanted to get a website with someone who would give me support, and HostMonster is one of the highest-rated webhosting servers out there. But there's a learning curve, so it's going to take me some time to figure it out.

This is what I need a website to do:

1. Host picture files - Ebay can do this, but because I need a website for other issues, why pay eBay a separate fee to host my stuff?
2. Host files - Files that other people can dowload, mainly free cutting files for my Pazzles Inspiration (oooh! which I need to bring to Girls' Weekend!!). Blogspot won't host files for download, just pics and videos.
3. If I get to do what I want to do in the long run, have a branded product that I pay someone else to produce, then I want to reserve my brandname on the Internet - Becky's Craftroom, so my website is beckyscraftroom.com, but all you get so far is an underconstruction page.
4. Besides, the cost of HostMonster is only about $5 a month, you have to pay it all up front (I subscribed to three years), but my website is paid for three years now (yes, Sue, I paid real money for it, earned with my Pazzles profits), and the customer support is awesome.
5. Craft blog - yes, I already have a beckyscraftroom.blogspot.com, but again, I can't really do what I want to do - downloadable files such as Pazzles cutting files or Photoshop files to offer to customers. But with my own website blog, I can do this.

7:00 pm - went visiting teaching, Connor begged and puppy-dog-faced me, so I took him, and he was as much of a spaz as you'd expect.
8:30 pm - back home, talked to kids, hugged baby, then we read scriptures, and we all pitched in to pick up the tv room (Yeay!! the upstairs looks pretty clean!), I fed Emma, then bathed her, got Connor ready for bed, put Emma to bed, read story to Connor
9:45 pm - back downstairs to my computer, talked to Sue on the phone, worked on my blog post
10:30 pm - I'm going to bed, so I can get up early and exercise, maybe I will get some more work done.

End Post #30, 2009

2 comments:

Sue said...

When one of my kids is up all night, it pretty much ruins the next day for me. I spend the whole time trying to fit in a snooze here and there and end up bitter because either the baby won't stay asleep or Amelia keeps coming in and waking me up. So I'm very proud of you that you exercised, worked on your website, and resisted the urge to make a binky clip.

Your 12:50 pm entry totally made me think of the "If you Give a Pig a Pancake" book!

Ok, you know me too well. I was preparing a mental reprimand for you for spending a bunch of money on your website when you assured me that you paid cash. Good Girl!!!

Anonymous said...

You are awesome, you are the queen of getting things done, even in a furry of craziness that is whirling around you.