Thursday, April 23, 2009

Oh. My. Monkeys.

Well, the ward talent show was tonight. Good grub. Some funny performances, some great performances. A lot I wish I'd taped, like Br. Weber with his guitar and banjo, Br. & Sis. Riddle's song and piano recital, Br. Allred's (yep, related back there five or six generations ago) funny skit about an American and an Englishmen in the emergency room, his teenage girls singing (fabulous voices), and a cute performance by one of the Croft's little girls who read a poem about some birthday payback from a sister to a brother. She sat on the floor of the stage with a mic and a little box of props to illustrate her poem. Very funny.

But.

Then I hauled myself up to the stage near the end. I sang "There Is No Arizona" by Jamie O'Neal, an awesome song. And I videotaped it. I was so excited about putting it on my blog tonight. But it was an illustration of many things. Sigh. Mmm. Mmm. Mmm. One should not tape onself when onself looks like a dumpling and manages to mess up the song and has to start over. But I made it through eventually. However, the sound on the recording is horrible. And I look like a dumpling. I should make myself watch it each time I think I need that extra bowl of ice cream. But I got lots of compliments on my singing, so it wasn't all bad.

I was going to sit down tonight, figure out how to get it off my camera, edit it, youtube it, and stick it on my blog. But alas, it's horrible, so no dice. Huh-uh, nope, nope, nope.

I think my mirror lies to me. A lot. I must subconsciously hold myself at just the right angle all the time. "Nope, 200+ pounds doesn't look THAT bad. I exercise everyday. I'm still cute. I'm good enough, smart enough, and doggonit, people like me!" It's a conspiracy, and my mirror is the chief conspirator. I REALLY gotta lay off the ice cream. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie, Peanut Butter Cookie Dough, Artisean Vanilla Bean, Praline Candy Crunch, Peppermint Candy, Rocky Road, Mint Girl Scout Cookie...

I'm sorry, we were talking about laying off the ice cream?

Hmmm, maybe I should really get my bike fixed up fast, so I can haul two little kids around AFTER dinner this summer, so I wind up exercising TWICE a day. Think it will help? Oh, Sue, you were asking what the bike shop guy said. He told me I could work some lube into the gear line to loosen it up, as well as use it to get other bike parts working smoothly. I sort of understood it. He said I could also have the bike shop get it tuned up, but of course, he could tell I was cheap (true), so he sold me a can of lube, and sent me on my way. I'd love to have Dan fix up my bike, but I'm too lazy to drive to Cokeville, or something like that. Besides, it's sparking my sense of challenge. I think I want to learn how to maintain my own bike. Just something I should probably know.

I spent all day TRYING to get a bunch of stuff ready for the ward talent show, practically giving myself a stroke debating about what I could actually get done in time, and whether or not I was going to attempt singing, and what song I should pick. I did a BIG weeding of my card sample stash, putting inserts on the inside of cards that needed them, repairing some, and making a momentous decision to get rid of all cards that weren't written on the inside. I spent so much time weeding, that I never got around to making anything new as I'd planned. See, I spent time on the old stuff, because I've been thinking I might donate some cards to my Relief Society sisters, for visiting teaching purposes. Just put everything in a big basket, and pass it around on Sunday, telling them they can take some for visiting teaching. Would it be horrible to make cards, pass them around, then suggest people can make a small donation to the card fund for the cost of supplies? I can't get anybody to come to my crafting classes, which baffles me, because I do get compliments on my cards. Am I just choosing the wrong times, is everyone too busy? What's the deal? How come nobody wants to craft with me? Sorry, that was kind of whiney. I just want to hang out with a grownup in my craftroom. Is that too much to ask? I want to be a good sharer, but nobody wants to play with me. Again with the pathetic whininess.

I am kicking myself that I didn't take a pic of the display table I set up at the talent show. Sigh. I guess I was so flustered with the whole experience, I forgot. But you guys have seen my stuff, so no biggie. I had a bunch of cards set up, the few jewelry projects I've done, and my laptop with one of my blog posts showing. Because I AM an obsessive blogger now. What's up with that anyway? Like, even if it's 2AM, I will still blog something. Nuts, I am just nuts! I did have a good conversation with Rene Hale, who is part of a card exchange group (Hooray!!), and she said she'd give me a call next time they have a card exchange. Fun!

Must sleep now, got to get up at 5:30 am to take Gil up to the high school for a chorus field trip. Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite!

5 comments:

Lois Ann said...

Reading your blog is one of my favorite things to do first thing in the morning. I am happy to be coming to your house ( and Sue's ) for Mothers'Day and get to spend a little time with each of you.

Becky in Wyo said...

I can't wait to play beading! Oh, and you have to bring your McGregor stamps with you. We'll make more cards!

Lois Ann said...

Have you seen the uTube about Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent? At first glance you might think she would be a dumpling... but listen to her voice and how she amazed Simon - and that is hard to do!

Lois Ann said...

Woops - forgot to put in the link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luRmM1J1sfg

Sue said...

OK, glad to know it's not just me. I knew I was looking exceptionally svelte in your bedroom mirror. It must have been a sale tactic from the previous owner: "Let's install skinny mirrors in the bedroom. This place'll sell for sure!"

You are a beautiful woman and I think there's a little of the "I need to refill my meds" speaking. I would love to hear you singing, so if you really hate the video, then just retape yourself.

I wouldn't ask for money on the cards. Just consider it a way to declutter your craft room. And after a couple of Sundays you can send around a sign-up sheet and see if anyone wants to make cards with you like you did with the beading thing (any action on the beading group yet?) And if no one bites, just pursue the card group with Rene.

Love you!

P.S. That peanut butter cookie dough ice cream is MUY luscious and therefore very hard to resist. :)