Saturday, April 18, 2009

Because The Man Upstairs Is Just Not That Stupid

Yep, I was maudlin at 2am last night. But it hasn't gone away quite yet. Just more thoughts on heaven/hell. For some reason, I found myself on Dug's blog this afternoon completely wasting time, and laughing myself to tears. And it occurred to me that when it's all said and done, I'll probably wind up in some level of heaven/hell with the people who appreciate fart jokes. I mean, after being a parent for nearly 15 years now, I just can't see The Man Upstairs giving me dominion over an endless number of children and worlds without end. Yes, we go to church every Sunday, we read our scriptures about 50% of the time, say prayers on the food, get our visting teaching/home teaching done (most of the time), kiss and hug the kids (sometimes more than they want, sometimes less), I am "friendly" to my husband way more often than I am naturally inclined, I send lots of loving thoughts out into the universe, am kind to animals, etc., but really, I boss those kids around at bedtime like their drill sergeant (Sue can play witness for that, gave her bad flashbacks to our childhood), I let the house go to crap a good part of the time, I have about a 5 minute attetion span when it comes to playing with my kids, I teach them fart jokes (but is that such a bad thing?), I backslap the teenagers' heads when they are being mouthy or just stupid, and the Bad-Mother-List goes on... and on... and on... And, besides the idea of that much repsonsibility in the eternities kind of makes my head hurt. All I ask is that He give me something useful and constructive to do, so that I can make a decent contribution. Please, that's all I want. Oh, and to be with people who appreciate potty humor. We'll be the ones cackling three levels down, and only slightly miserable most of the time.

Another thing I've concluded from my useless blog reading today, is that I need a better camera phone, for impromptu pics when I'm not lugging around the digital SLR. How many times have I wished for a camera, and not had one? But I almost always have a cell phone with me. Tiny cameras are good for sneaky/goofy little pics, like this one from Gil at Easter:

2 comments:

Sue said...

"I am 'friendly' to my husband way more often than I am naturally inclined." Dude, we are totally going to score some brownie points in heaven for that one. :)

Sometimes Dug's blog is just the perfect medicine for what ails you. I especially loved the one about the teenager loading the dishwasher (http://suncrestdug.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/todays-wtf-moment-brought-to-us-by-ian/)
and the one about the prostate exam (http://suncrestdug.wordpress.com/2009/03/17/a-little-awkwardness/)
Oh baby, do I know about butts and akwardness at the doctor's office!

Becky in Wyo said...

Yeah, I loved the one about the teenager and the dishwasher. I thought, "been there, done that." It's the kind of thing that is going to wind up on my own blog one of these days.