Sunday, July 5, 2009

Gil's Passion for Theater


It's deja vu. One of my kids is really into the theater, just like I was in high school, but this time around, it's not a girl, it's my Big Kid Gil! Ooops, I mean, big strapping teenage son. He listens to musicals all the time, is taking acting and singing lessons, and hangs out with all his high school and college drama friends whenever he can. His favorite song right now is "Seasons of Love" from the Broadway musical "Rent." Thus, the tagline "525,600 minutes" on all his cell text messages.

I can't really pinpoint when the interest really started for him. I'm guessing it began in junior high, with all the choir performances. But it really took off this school year with his participation in Brigadoon at the high school, and he's been involved in every drama thing he can ever since. Every summer, the Western Wyoming Community College drama department puts on a play/musical for all the kids in the community to participate in, including Rock Springs, Green River, and probably anybody else in the county. This summer it was Seussical Jr. While Gil didn't have a big part, he had a blast participating. I drove him back and forth to the college every day for three weeks, until we finally got to see the big show. Now he's got us all hooked on the music.

It wasn't until I read the program later, that I realized I wasn't supposed to take pictures during the performance. But, I'm glad I didn't know, or I wouldn't have any pics of Gil or the great costumes and sets!

What was really fantastic were the sets and costumes. I was amazed at how much they accomplished with probably not-a-very-big-budget and all those kids! And the performances were really good, too.

Gil, who was a "Who" dad, no lines, but he got into it, nonetheless.

One of the undersea fantasy scenes, my favorite part of the musical in terms of costuming and sets, Gil is on the far left.

I was amazed when they brought out the "whale," really fantastic, and I loved all the sparkly, beautiful, fish on sticks. I wish I had a good pic of the jellyfish, fantastic!

More great sets, Horton the Elephant sitting on his egg, and Amazing Mazy.

Horton, his hatched elephant bird, and Gertrude McFuzz.

Gil got to have a few seconds of the spotlight in the grand finale. He did a breakdance move. Go Gil!

Cast party after the last performance on 25 June. They still had their stage makeup on (Gil said - "We're not queer, I swear!") Gil, his best friend Ty in the center, and one of the drama kids from high school.

Right now, he's attending rehearsal for the current college play, and they are letting him learn how to operate the sound board. I think he's really found his "niche."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

last picture: the guy on the far right looks like that because he's laughing at gil for drinking so much pop.

Lori Gerten said...

I remember when Susan first told me that you had a baby and you would call him Gil!!! He's all grown up and it's so amazing to see him pursue an interested so close to my heart. I dabble in community theater and love it!!

Congrats for making such a good teenager, Becky!

Sue said...

I'm so glad Gil found his passion (outside of W.O.W.)! I love the pic of him bustin' a move at the front of the stage.