Monday, July 20, 2009

Declaration of Intent

Sue posted a bunch of comments on my blog a few days ago. No, I haven't blogged very much recently, I've pretty much been a slacker this summer, but Sue's flurry of comments reminded me that I should get my act together, again.

Okay, let's see if I can get myself back into the the swing of things. Basically, there's been a hugely needed restructuring of my days that I have been avoiding for several months, but I've had a ginormously pathetic case of procrastination. I HAVE GOT TO CLEAR OUT THIS CRAFTROOM!!!! It's the huge elephant in the room of my brain, so huge and stinky, that I have NOT wanted to deal with it for a long time. Totally tried to ignore it was there. So I need to return an embarrassing amount of jewelry supplies that I ordered so I can get my money back, sell off this stuff I've been threatening to do for months and months and months, and just streamline this place, so I can get it out of my brain!

Ever since I had to close down my daycare in January, I knew I had to get this stuff done. But, various economic boons allowed me to postpone the inevitable: Zen's bonuses at work and our tax return to name a few. But our finances have reached critical mass, and I have to face up to reality, in a BIG hurry.

There are several things I can do to in order to bring in some dough on a consistent basis. First, when I was out last week, picking up Zen's suit from a local dry cleaner's, I asked them if they needed anyone to do repairs and alterations. The manager was excited to see me, and long-story-short, I am now doing that part time. At this point, I can't imagine it's going to bring in more than a few hundred a month, but it's better than nothing. Zen teased me that after eleven years of owning my sewing machine, I'm finally going to make some money using it. Another idea that I've had is that with the current upsurge in ebooks, there might be a demand for people who can take old books and convert them to digital format. It's basically a whole bunch of typing, and maybe some basic software knowledge. Maybe that could leapfrog into some kind of editing work. I could finally make use of my English degree, after all.

So, expect the daily logs to pick back up. Also, I need to blog about a few recent things - Zen's new truck, and our trip this weekend to Star Valley for Zen's grandmother's funeral.

I've also created a health/fitness/weight-loss blog for myself at http://battlefor200andbeyond.blogspot.com. There's nothing there yet, but I'll see if I can keep up a daily log for myself that's just about what I eat, what exercising I do, my weight (gasp!!), etc. Just a motivational thing, where if I make myself 'fess up to what I'm doing, or not doing, I might get myself in better shape.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Becky, you are so wonderful... always so honest with us, your blogging friends, and honest with your self!
I need to get back on the health scene again too... I seem to think that oreos and otterpops every day is an okay thing... yikes!!
Maybe we could really rally together and get serious about this weight loss thing... ya know, we could be each others sponser or something... what do you think??

Sue said...

Yay, Becky's back! Looking forward to the regular updates again!