Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thought(less)? Thursday

Dude, what is up with this week?! I get to the end of the day, and feel like nothing got done! I did get up this morning and exercised, then it went downhill from there. I rallied around 3pm, but still, blechhh!!!!

I did go to book club tonight. Man, I cannot get enough of stuff like that! Although, being the mom is a good thing, and I still want to be that most of the time, but I could use a few hours away once a week, instead of once a month. To my chagrin, I did not read the book for this month, Hattie Big Sky, I just went to socialize, but I'll try to be better next month and actually read the book selection. You know, put some of those English degree skills to use, and feel a little bit smarter, instead of totally stupid most of the time.

Also, I have decided that I am an IDIOT for trying to pick up a new hobby. I have neither the time, nor money (especially no money), to devote to another craft. I'm sending back everything that is still returnable, that I have purchased for this beading thing, from books to supplies. It's a total "scorched earth" policy. Everything must go. I will only focus on my family, my calling, and getting all this stuff in my craftroom sold off. Then, I'll only make cards. Finito. Nothing else. That's it. No more distractions.

Note to self: teenagers are rough. Emotionally, they act like two-year-olds sometimes, but want to be treated with the same respect and have the same privileges that adults seem to have. It's such a bad combination. Sue, NEVER bring the tv back into your house. All the kids' shows have stupid or incompetent parents, or there just aren't any parents present at all. I wish I could drop-kick my tv, but I know I'd get out-voted on that one. Besides, I don't know how much difference it would make at this point with my teenagers.

3 comments:

Lois Ann said...

That's a great plan, the "scorched earth" one. How well I know how a hobby, or volunteering for a project can be so distracting to the things that matter most. And yes, a little time away can really help recharge your batteries. What was that thing you said sometime back about being good enough, and by golly, people like me? Well, it is true about you. You are working awfully hard at being a good mom and as far as I can tell are doing a good job at it. Yes, living with teens can be a big challenge... part of their job as teens is to try out the independence concept; that time in their life is their laboratory for growing up. It is OK to let them "win" once in a while, while letting them learn about consequences - such as "I stayed up too late and I was draggy at school today". Well, enough philosophy. Remember every day that Heavenly Father loves you and is mindful of you.

Anonymous said...

A word on Televisions, and ... well, ... any type of Media. You are the mom, and you don't have to give in to what the "Majority" wants... You know what is best for them, even if they don't agree.
... Unhealthy food, too much spending, too much TV, and so on and so forth... It is never too late, but it does take alot of "life changing" to really switch things up. Maybe start by limiting TV time, or computer time, then you could help the boring no TV time, by coming up with some other fun hobbies... Just an Idea!
More power to ya, We mom's have got to stand together!

Sue said...

Go check out this talk by Elder Bednar:
http://lds.org/broadcast/ces/0,7341,538,00.html

Holy monkeys! Maybe you can talk the fam into drop kicking at least the satellite and cutting back on WOW after making them listen to this talk.

Love you!