Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Used To Be Smart

Well, after a check-up phone call from Sue to see why I'd dropped off the planet in blogging world, I decided I'd better post something, since SO MANY PEOPLE rely on my daily posts. Not.

What shall I write about? Hmmm...

Nothing major has been happening except a bad case of brain freeze. I'm so overwhelmed by the amount of things sitting in my craftroom that need returning or selling that my brain just kind of shut down and I totally goofed off the past two or three days. But it's time to get back in the saddle. I was going to make some progress today, but I wound up doing lots of house/mom stuff. I had a major headache all day today, and I hope it's gone after a good night's sleep, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Tonight we went to the Rock Springs High School annual academic awards ceremony. Gil got a little certificate for having a GPA 3.5 or higher. He'll probably have a 4.0 for the year. But it was funny sitting there, and not just because Gil and his friend Ty were being goofy all through the presentations (how many different ways can you clap? Freshmen). All these students, at the pinnacle of their achievements, and it made me think of my own high school and college graduations. Man, that was the last time I felt accomplished. You know? I made good grades, teachers liked me, I felt smart in class, just about the only place I felt useful. In a lot of ways, high school and college are artificial, but still, it's nice to be recognized. So, I started thinking of my accomplishments since then. It's a depressing/humorous list:

1. When he does something obnoxious, Gil calls himself "Your Accomplishment in Life". Thanks, son. Ditto on the other ones. Warms my heart. Whenever the kids play Wii Rock Band, I think, "I am a bad mother." Can I throw out the tv and the Wii?
2. On the way home tonight, I asked Gil and Zen what I'm best at, etc. All they came up with was that I am the best cook in our family. Best out of 6. That's awesome.
3. A monkey-load of debt. Yey me.
4. I am pretty skilled at cleaning puke, changing diapers, removing stains, staying up with sick kids, etc.
5. Oh, I just remembered, the other thing Zen came up with tonight is that I'm good at acquiring new hobbies. Although, I think that qualifies more as a disease than a talent.
6. But, I'm getting pretty good at this blogging thing, except when I go through a brain freeze.
7. Okay, I am a creative person, for better or worse.
8. I'm a fast reader, but only in binges.
9. I sing well, but I don't know if I can take any credit for that. It's like having green eyes. It just happened, I got lucky.
10. Random - I totally like my October B-Day. Again, I take no credit for that. But it's a fun, festive month. Potentially icky, but still, I love the pumpkin cakes, and the orange/purple color combo.
11. I like giving things. Of course, with an addiction to credit cards, this currently is a bad thing (I AM trying to overcome this), but I figure someday I'll learn to apply this trait well.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Yes, it's the "I used to be a genius and now I'm just a butt wiper" syndrome. It's part of the sacrifice we make as mothers. I try to passify myself by remembering that when I look past all the menial chores, I'm training the next generation to be responsible, empowered adults.