Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Little Miracles

I think today was one of those tiny little miracles that happen sometimes. Easy to overlook, but there nonetheless.

See, I woke up this morning, got up, and just knew that I had ZERO motivation. Like, I could just go back to bed, or laze about, THINK about being useful, but in the end get nothing done. I got up with Foofie, got her a bottle, put on my exercise clothes (just in case I actually got up the motivation to exercise), etc., and promptly sat down to watch tv with her. We played Moochie (this is how she gets fed a lot these days - eating off someone's plate, baby food has gone out the window), eating some awesome wheat bread I made yesterday (at least yesterday was productive). I thought, "There is almost no chance something constructive is going to get done." By about noon, my self-fulfilled prophecy had come true. Still in my sweats.

But then Zen came home for lunch, and I puttered around, not wanting to look like a total heathen. I sat at my computer downstairs, just messing around. That led to, "Well, I'm sitting here next to the laundry room. I might as well put in an easy load of clothes." Thus started three or four loads of "easy" laundry, the kind you don't have to check very hard for stains - towels and jeans. Then, Gil called, wanting to come home because he felt sick. I thought I could hurry and pick him up and get back before Zen had to go back to work. About 20 seconds later my visiting teachers showed up (I forgot they were coming), and I had a little dilemma. See, Foofie was asleep in her bed, and I didn't want to wake her up in the middle of her nap to go get Gil. I looked at Zen, who was heading back to work, kind of in the air about what to do. Could I send Zen to get Gil, would I have to wake up Foofie and put her and Connor in the car? My VT's handed me a plate of spice cake slices with cream cheese frosting (dude, it was so yummy, must get a recipe), and said they would catch up with me later. In the end, Zen went and got Gil, but I missed my visit with my VT's. Would it be weird if I called them tomorrow and asked them to come back? If it didn't sound so needy, I'd ask them to come once a week. I really enjoy my visits with them. Must be something about adult conversation with women that just fills a void nothing else can.

Okay, so after all that drama, I went back to my computer, and I thought, "Man, I just know there are some bills due. I better go to the upstairs computer and check." Well, one thing led to another, and I balanced the checkbook, paid the bills, and got the medical bills caught up.

Then, I thought, "I could probably exercise. It's only 30 minutes. Yeah, I can do that." So, I did it, even though it took an hour to clock 30 minutes on my machine, with all the interruptions from the kids. Then, I showered, dressed, and put some clean clothes away. I took Gil to play dress rehearsal, mailed a bill, and shopped at Wal-Mart for dinner. After dinner and getting the kids in bed, I fixed the broken headphone jack on Zen's Palm Pilot, attempting soldering electrical components for the first time. The sound doesn't play out of the small speaker in the back, so I messed up something, but at least now you can hear sound through a set of headphones. So, it was a small success. Then on to a blog post before bed.

OH MY HECK. I was USEFUL today! How did that happen? 'Cause when I woke up this morning, I was completely in the "watch soap operas and eat chocolate bon bons" frame of mind.

I'm going to count today as a small miracle. Somebody must have been nudging me just a little, so I didn't have a stroke from not-accomplishing-anything.

2 comments:

Lois Ann said...

If you weren't such a dedicated blogger, you would not have noticed the several things you actually accomplished today. Way to go!

Sue said...

OK, I'm repenting (again) from slacking on my comments. PLEASE DON'T STOP POSTING EVERYDAY! I need my Becky fix!