Thursday, September 20, 2007

I Feel Like a Genius Today

The other day Dani popped the glass door out of our new, spiffy entertainment center. I looked at it, and could not figure out how it happened in the first place. It seemed impossible to get the door back in the notches of the wood frame. I set it aside, thinking I'd let my resident engineer look at it when he gets back in town Friday. Well, I finally figured it out today (had a little epiphany), and I felt somewhat proud of myself for fixing the cabinet. That reminds me of another incident a few days ago.

My Blond Moment - Gil and I were sitting in the car the other day at Wal-Mart, and I was staring at the dashboard in a kind of resigned stupor, thinking, "This cannot be happening!" Why, you ask? Because I couldn't get the car started. The electrical system seemed to be okay, but the engine just wouldn't turn over, at all. Is is the starter? Gil says, "Mom, call a tow truck." I'm thinking, "Should I call a friend? Should we just walk home? After all, the exercise would do me some good." But, as I sit there, I'm really dizzily horrified that we have another repair to deal with. Last month was about two grand in various repairs (fix car, fried computer, oven lighter switch), so I wasn't processing this new problem very well. After a lot of pestering from Gil to call a tow truck, I said, "Give me a minute. I'm in shock here." I pay my tithing, and I haven't blown up a post office recently, so why is this happening to me? I know I'm not perfect, but give me a break already, didn't I suffer enough last month? After another minute or two of unnecessary internal drama, that's when I notice that the auto-transmission is set on reverse, not park. That's why it wouldn't start. Am I a genius, or what? Gil says, "It's a good thing you didn't call anybody. This is really embarrassing." But hey, but now that I've written it all down for the world to read, I feel so much better! And my teenager's embarrassment with his mother can live on, and on, and on . . .

3 comments:

Sue said...

I drive a stick, so whenever I travel I'm usually driving a rental car that's an automatic. More than once I have turned off the car and got totally pissy "why won't the stupid keys come out?!"

Uh, try shifting into park.

Becky in Wyo said...

You'd think I would learn from this kind of stupidity, but no, even though I drive an automatic, I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've been confused in the driver's seat.

The Donnells said...

I do that all the time when the steering wheel locks up, I can never figure out why I can't turn the key.