Sunday, September 16, 2007

Holy Monkeys!

Okay, I just couldn't stand it anymore. I've been threatening (mostly inside my own mind, and occasionally to Sue) to write my own blog, and now I've done it. No frills (for now), although I can just see myself spending 20 hours perfecting the look of my blog, no 30, no 40, no ..... well, you get the idea. I've been writing silly little ideas for blog posts on a scrap piece of paper stuck inside the drawer of my computer desk, and after reading the family blogs, and associated blogs, for the zillionth time, I finally decided I better just give up and write mine. My worst offense will be my overwhelming wordiness and I will be grateful if anyone can suffer through it for very long.

My first topic: substitute swear words. Everybody has them, and you know your own favorites. Well, mine is "Holy Monkeys!" and you CAN'T have it! I've spent months rolling this phrase around in my head and out of my mouth, trying out various permutations: "freakin' monkeys!", "stupid monkeys!", just "monkeys!", and "Holy Monkeys!" has stuck the best. Monkeys are totally adorable as stuffed animals, but in reality their hygiene leaves something to be desired. Thus, it is a sneaky little swear word. While we all know it would be best not to swear at all, I feel I can use this phrase without restraint, and not be afraid of horribly embarrassing myself with something far worse in a moment of crisis. Also, my 2-year-old can repeat what I say, and I don't have to wear my "I'm a horrible mother" sign as a penance. Of course, my 13-year-old son thinks I'm totally a dork when I say this, but can you really please 13-year-olds anyway?

Randomly Odd Bits:
I dare you to identify this phrase: "Why couldn't I be attacked by crazed supermodels?" Hint: this comes out of the mouth of a teenage boy

5 comments:

The Donnells said...

Welcome to the world of blogging. Now you know the rules (Sue found this out the hard way) you must blog atleast once a week, or the reaming will begin. You must add pictures of anything even if it is not relevent to the blog. And you must keep up the whitty sarcastic humor that we all know and love you for. And guessing from what you have posted already, you are well on your way.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, for you and welcome... I feel like I know a little bit more about your silly little world already... and that makes me very happy, especially because we dont get to see you guys any more!

I am so putting you on my favorites list!

Sue said...

I'm sorry, Chris, did you say blog once a week? You are SO in trouble!

Becky, can we start a support group called Mothers of Drama Queens? You can be the president and I'll be the VP.

Lizzy Lou said...

With your lively house-hold I would think you could blog more often then once a week about the happenings of the crew, but we will let you slip in here easy to begin with. Just an added note: I scrap booked a double page about PERLER beads for my reunion book. It has light blue and bright yellow paper and is called 'circles of Love'. It even has a "spotted dog" with a dog tag around his neck. Included is a picute of Connor eating the beads and nothing but your cupped hand in front of his mouth. It's so great. I will bring it if you come for the Grand dad birthday in November. Thanks for your addition of creativity beyond our fondest hopes, and to think Josh got in touch with his "PERLER" side......

Lora said...

OK, I am entertained...monkeys and 13-year old boys...striking similarities:) Donboy