Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Muzak

More random blogging (don't miss Gil's football weekend below.) I'm feelin' the music vibe today because I love my new MP3 toy, a Creative ZEN V Plus 4GB, which is compatible with our Napster service. While you could say that you should just exercise no matter what, jamming to music while I exercise makes a BIG difference. I'm totally rockin' out while I work away on my Gazelle. I need something to get my rear end out of bed at 5:30 in the morning (b*** crack of dawn, you know?), so I can exercise and get ready for all the daycare kids. Rocky-movie music and the soundtrack from Flashdance ("Maniac") are especially good for this. Know any other good workout songs? Feel free to comment below.

Okay, I'm generally a contemporary country music/pop/musicals/classical/rock/jazz kind of listener, but once in a while, I pick up some extra things that I think are great. Today, I'm going to sing, or write, the praises of a movie soundtrack. Don't laugh at me, but I really like the tunes of High School Musical 2. Yes, it's the standard cheesefest you'd expect from a Disney channel movie, but all things considered it's a great movie. So was the original High School Musical from last year. Think Grease without the raunchiness. The dance sequences in both movies are really good. So, if you like that sort of thing, check it out. There are several of the songs I listen to while I exercise every morning: "What Time Is It", "Work This Out", "I Don't Dance", and "Bet On It". "Fabulous" is an amusing, diva drama-queen song. Kind of fun to sing to, and be silly, if you are alone... or with your pre-teen daughter.

Other recommendations: anything by Brad Paisley & SHeDAISY. My favorite type of songs are the ones done by singer/songwriters. You get a unique feel, and often a story-telling type of vibe, from people who write their own songs. Every other type of music is a lot more generic. Brad Paisley is a great storyteller. SHeDAISY is an awesome group. They're a little country, a little alternative, for lack of a better word. Listen to "The First to Let Go" from their album Knock on the Sky. Awesome.

My Fantasy: Sitting down in a studio-type setting, no pressure, and singing with Josh Groban. I love to sing, but I'm really shy about it, and I only like to sing by myself, or at home with my family. Sue, remember all the heinous "opera" singing you complained about when we were growing up? Yeah, haven't outgrown that. I love singing along with Josh Groban. He has a beautiful tenor voice, and has fantastic albums.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

good for you for waking up that early and exercising. Every night I tell my self I'm going to do that, and so far it hasn't happened in three years. Okay... confession... i love high school musical. I am also in love with Brad Paisley. If you are looking for a good musical to listen to try Wicked. I haven't seen it, but I down loaded all of the songs a while ago and now I am obsessed. You can pretty much figure out the story from the songs, and they are really fun to sing to. Now if I could only jet off to New York to see it in person.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too love Brad paisley, also, Rascall Flatts and Toby Keith.. oh the list could go on and on. I have found that Techno is really great for working out too, try looking up the Venga Boys. One of my favorite sing along soundtracks is Moulon Rouge, I am so in love with Ewan Mcgreggor. I am going to have to check out Wicked, I have heard that it is soooo good!

Jenn said...

Hey katy, I too am in love with Ewan. And, just to brag a little, I got to met him a couple of years ago. He's probably 5'5 and 105 pounds. But I love his singing on the Moulin Rouge soundtrack.

Lizzy Lou said...

I am presumming that the entry from josh and jenn about being in love with Ewan MeGrgor is from Jenn.....Ewan does not seem like Josh's type but maybe I have missed something along the line. Brad Paisely and the checking for tick song is so original. I often wish I had thought of that. Besides it is such good communicable disease control...

Becky in Wyo said...

Brad Paisley has a song called, "I'm Still a Guy". It's very funny! And, it reminds me of Josh... well, most guys I know too.

Jenn said...

that's funny because the "I'm still a guy" song reminds me of Josh too. I actually down loaded it, and made him sit down and listen to it.

The Donnells said...

I would have to say that Moulin Rouge is my favorite CD, yes I still have CD's, to listen to when I drive home through Provo Canyon. I love to sing along, keeps me awake. Shad is always a little taken back when he gets in the truck and Ewan McGregor is blaring. Shad has gotten me into Reggae, he says that it is soothing to the baby. He has also turned me onto 70's and 80's like The Cult, The Cure, Duran Duran, Steely Dan, the Band, Jethro Toll. He has yet to get me to really like the Grateful Dead though.

Sue said...

Ooo, I totally remember getting so annoyed when you would drag out the end of a note, all opera style, on songs that didn't warrant that kind of singing! Like Madonna or Journey (Ok, maybe Journey sings some long notes, but not THAT long!) I was always like, "If you're gonna sing it, sing it right!"

But you really do have a gorgeous voice. I've always envied that and I think it's so cool that you and Zen can sing together.

Becky in Wyo said...

It's funny you say that, because we never sing together, except in ward choir. What's up with that? I'm sitting, contemplating that mystery...