Thursday, October 25, 2007

Changing Your Metabolism

Okay, in some form this is probably a repeat, but I just wanted to tag a quick note onto the end of my last blog post. Because, miracle of miracles, I think I've managed to alter my metabolism.

1. I exercise more, so my bmr (basal metabolic rate) is up. I start the day with exercise, so it gets revved up faster, sooner. Then, I'm sure I've increased my muscle mass, which makes a good contribution to the bmr, so I burn more calories doing nothing in particular than I used to. When exercising, get your heartrate up there. No casual strolls. And work some resistance into your workout.
2. I eat regularly, starting with a good, healthy breakfast of old-fashioned oatmeal, then followed by regular meals and snacks throughout the day. 2500 calories, for example, consumed in a big chunk at dinner-time, affects your body differently than spreading it out over the day.
3. I'm convinced, though I don't have any science research to quote to back it up, that this portion-size-regular-meal thing, trains my body to burn food, not store it.
4. Don't forget the psychology of eating. I know I've always had a bad habit of pigging out at dinner time, almost always having seconds on my big plate, and now I've really managed to get a handle on this thing. I eat a salad-sized plate of food, and maybe a few spoonfuls, literally, of ice cream, then I'm done for the night. Feeding my body throughout the day has really helped me to control the cravings at night.
5. I generally stop eating early in the evening. I try not to eat more than I can burn off by bedtime, if possible. Again, this is about training your body to burn fat & calories, rather than store them.
6. Last piece of advice: really lower your sugar/simple-carb intake, eliminate it if you can. I've watched my mother-in-law lose a ton of weight doing this, at least 80 pounds or more is my guess, although I haven't had to nerve to ask her, and now she's practically tiny! In fact, I give the credit for starting to eat differently to her! Complex carbs (whole grains, fruits, and vegetables) are of course, still good for you.

I think I'm done with this health/fitness advice for now. I didn't want to write a book or anything, and heaven knows anything I've said has been said by plenty of other people before. But, it helps to fix these things in my own mind by writing them down. Because that's what I really want to do: lifelong healthy habits, not some lose-a-gazillion-pounds-in-six-months-from-drinking-nothing-but-shakes short-term fix. I want to permanently be able to shop in the regular sizes, and leave the plus-size department behind forever.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Wow, your such a fitness maniac. I've tried, and failed many times. I'm glad you've been posting advice because it's giving me encouragement. So keep it up!