Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It's All About Portion Size


Carbs, shmarbs. Whatever. Just keep it small!! This is what I've learned in the dieting department recently. Eat small, and eat frequently (at least four or five times a day). I serve five meals (3 regular, 2 snack) in my house everyday, and have a little of each. And you know what, I'm still losing weight. It's because I eat small. I know, I know, Sue, you've been telling me this for years. It's just now really sinking in. My theory is that over time, my stomach is shrinking on its own, and it takes way less to satisfy me. Pair that with an overall increase in my metabolism from regular exercise, and I think that's what's generating my weight loss. Something I do to control portion size, is to use a smaller plate. Huh? Instead of a dinner plate, serve yourself from a salad plate. You'll eat way less. And I still have ice cream frequently. I just serve it to myself in a cute little container. The one above is a $0.97 plastic sundae cup I found at Wal-Mart. It probably only holds 1/2 to 3/4 cup. When it's gone, then I'm done. No seconds. I think Dani, with her love for creative eating dishes, has inspired me. Current fav flavor of ice cream: carrot cake (sans raisins). Tastes a lot like pumpkin pie milkshakes. Oh, I also recommend eating whole grains more often, and eating fresh fruits and veggies! I eat old-fashioned oatmeal in the morning, with sliced almonds and dried fruit. I also add vanilla, a little packet of artificial sweetener (I may start skipping this, because the dried fruit adds sweetness), a dash of salt, and pour on some 1% milk. All this together kicks tooshie over instant oatmeal packets or sugar cereal. It satisfies your body way better than that other stuff.

Okay, my blog post Saturday got NO response, so was it obnoxious or just boring? I'm just totally on this self-improvement kick, and I'm having an upswing in attitude, etc. So, if I get kind of sugary-sweet or seem too preachy, just sort of roll your eyes and move on with me.

6pm Update
P.S. Don't get any ideas about my new healthy outlook and start thinking I won't COMPLETELY pig out at the scrapbook getaway weekend. Sorry, I won't be showing off my new healthy eating skills. I'll be armed with a bag of chocolate and a big appetite, thank you very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the way you think... i dont kow who thought up this hole 3 big meals thing.. it is not that good for us... smaller meals, more frequently.. awesome!