Thursday, October 25, 2007

Hail the Conquering Heros!



Said I'd make a post about Zen & Gil's hunting trip. Well, Zen's Dad got an elk, and gave it to them, and they in turn gave Ron their tag, because they couldn't stay more than two days on the hunt. So, for a few days, we had a bloody carcass out in the garage. It's now at the butcher. For the same amount of money spent on hunting gear, snacks, butchering the elk, etc., I could have bought plenty of more beef at the store than the 50 pounds or so of meat we'll get off this elk. But it's not about the moolah, obviously. It's about the bonding: "Hunting gear - $200, Licenses & ammo - $150, Food for two days - $75, Gas for the car - $50, Hunting with your Grandpa - Priceless." Hey, sort of reminds me of the Girls' Getaway we're doing this weekend... um, I guess women can spend just as much money, if not more, than men when it comes down to it. Hhmmmmm... Darn those craft supplies!! Why do they have to be so tempting?!! But I digress. Zen said Gil did really well with the hunting trip. He brought his A-game in the maturity department. Handled his weapon well, didn't complain (much) about all the hiking, withstood the long times standing at his post, having a strong stomach while watching (for the first time) an elk being gutted, etc. I'm sure it wasn't perfect, but he did well. His Grandpa, Ron, was so glad Zen and Gil were there. He hasn't had the opportunity to take any of his grandchildren hunting, so he was really ecstatic when we moved to Wyoming last year, so Gil could go hunting this fall. Gil plans on going again next year, so we'll have to save our pennies for another hunting trip. Yay for the Manly Men!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Well, I'm not going to lie, I really hate hunting. But it is good that the boys had some "manly men" time. Women are known for being big spenders but honestly there is no way we spend as much money as men do. The worst part is even if you did spend that much money on craft supplies, you can't justify it like guys do. Zen could say the meat is feeding your family. You can't say that about craft supplies. This is all coming from my own personal experiences if you couldn't tell. Josh can justify spending oodles of cash on everything, and I feel guilty about spending money on fun stuff because I can't justify it. I better stop before I start on a tangent. See you this weekend.