Sunday, October 21, 2007

Letter to My Alter Ego

This is going to be so preachy, it may make you want to throw stuff at me. But, I'm just feelin' the need to record my developing health philosophy for the times when it's not goin' so great. And you know those times are a-comin'. They do to everyone. So here's my letter to my donut-eatin'-cheese-snackin'-bag-of-chocolate-hidden-under-the-bed-sleepin'-in-instead-of-exercising alter ego:

Sweetie, I love you, but you have got to remember some things -

1. Now, honey, you remember what it felt like to step on the scale and feel the thrill of accomplishment as you lose another pound, or even better, to lose two. Also remember the gloating satisfaction of being able to bunch up a couple inches of fabric in your fist because your jeans are so loose. Remember when you tried on those "goal" pants in the closet, and they were too big? Remember how fun it was to have a naughty shopping spree to buy smaller clothes!
2. Remember the good times exercising. Yes, they were good! Remember how fun it was to imagine yourself in an action-adventure movie, where you are kickin' some serious butt, being tough, and saving the world while listening to Rocky-movie type music. Remember the voice of your inner drill-sergeant: "Come on, baby, you can do it! Keep going! Punch it! Move it, baby! Push! Push! Push! Go! Go! Go!" Remember the thrill of going faster and farther than ever before. Remember when you started working harder and faster than some of the people around you at the gym. Remember how good you felt the rest of the day after exercising. Rock on!
3. Remember to eat small, but frequently. See your post on portion size. You can still eat yummy foods and lose weight. More veggies, less sugar. Read Living the G.I. Diet by Rick Gallop again. You don't have to be the simple-carb Nazi all the time, but it's a good foundation. Don't pig out at dinner, and don't eat after six p.m. Many pounds have been lost on this advice alone.
4. Remember the stress-induced minor chest pains you used to have? Gone, babe!
5. You are one sexy woman. Doesn't matter if you're a size 20 (gasp!) and look like a hippo to the rest of the world. Zen thinks you are hot!

Remember the wise words of Colonel Potter: "It's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself." You can always do better than you did before, no matter what the rest of the world is doing. Now that's progress, baby.


I just had to laugh at myself yesterday morning. I drove around and around the parking lot at the rec center, looking for a parking space close to the building so I could go exercise. I wasted more time driving, than it would take to just park further back, and walk my lazy rear end into the building. Ha, ha. I'm a dork!

Does anyone dare me to post my current swimsuit picture? ...hmmmm, maybe I won't do that just yet. It may give me, and my image-conscious children, some trama. But I feel so good! I just bought a new swimsuit two sizes smaller! Sigh... N-E-V-E-R M-I-N-D!! Nobody needs that trama.

10-25-06 Update - I'm not always kicking people's heads in during my workout. Sometimes I think about how to do things better in my life, help people, have better relationships with my kids, etc. It's not all about Xena-Warrior-Princess, although I still think that's fun. Just had to say that, 'scuse me.

1 comment:

Sue said...

You are so witty and clever! Way to lay it all out on the line! I noticed that you came to your senses about the swimsuit picture. That totally reminds me of the pictures Mom used to take when we were growing up, front and back in her swimsuit, before and after. BODY BY CAMBRIDGE baby!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who visualizes/fantisizes about being all tough and hard-core! It's been awhile since I've been to the gym, but when I was riding my bike this spring I would imagine myself as a top athlete, grinding up the hills, and when I made it over the top I'd think, "Nice work Richardson!"

Something that always helped me to enjoy exercising was getting a good book on tape. I've got to get back into the gym and just yesterday I was thinking about trying to download a book onto my iPod shuffle. I'll let you know how it goes!

As far as the before and after concept goes, maybe you could photograph yourself in a sports bra and shorts, like on The Biggest Loser, and as you progress you could show the pictures side-by-side. Have I mentioned that The Biggest Loser is one of my favorite shows? It's so energizing to watch their progress and all the hard work they do. Of course, I'm usually eating a bag of chocolate chips or a bowl of ice cream while I'm watching, but hey at least I'm thinking about the possibility of getting off my butt, tomorrow maybe...