Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Things I Would Do If I Had All The Time In The World

I was going to do this huge post today, but it's after eleven, and I told myself I would quit staying up until midnight blogging. It's all part of my goal to maximize my time, be efficient, and get more stuff done. So, here's a fun, quick post. Things I would do if I had all the time (and resources) in the world:

FANTASY TO-DO LIST

1. Clean up my craft room, and build the ultimate storage system by making custom, interchangable storage units, like those I found on my fantasy website, ScrapNcube. I'd get to use all those woodworking skills I learned in high school and college.
2. Organize all the remaining papers and craft supplies, and put them into fun packages and to-do kits to resell.
3. Scan all my negatives, and make a master digital file of all the pictures I have ever taken, complete with notes and photo identification.
4. Frankly, I vacillate between the desire to be a productive person, and just wanting to vegetate my brain out. I'm in productive mode these days, but a part of me fantasizes about days I could structure according to what mood strikes me. But, I have played havoc with our finances too many times with credit cards, and my time is not my own, so I must study, study, study that Medical Transcription course and get it done, so we can have some financial stability.
5. Things I wish I had time (and money) to learn, so I could do them myself and be of useful service to other people - auto mechanics, computer technology, financial stock market, home construction, languages.
6. Unstructured, undemanding days where I could take me and the kids where the wind blows us. Just turn my brain off, and do what they wanted to do.
7. Service, service, service. Believe it or not, I often think of ways I could connect with other people, and hours of time I wish I had to help them. But, I'm the mom of five kids at home, and the time I can give to other people is limited.
8. Travel. This one I'm saving up for when the kids are older. Traveling with small children is a huge pain in the rear, in my opinion, and takes the fun out of the whole thing by worrying about their safety all the time.
9. Yard work and gardening - man, I just don't have time for this, but I love digging in the dirt. It's therapeutic and satisfying.
10. Books, books, books. Have I ever mentioned that I love reading? That's the understatement of the century. There is definitely not enough time for this. In fact, I have to stay away from books sometimes, because they are a huge temptation and can be a huge time-waster if I start one I find interesting.
11. Craft projects - too many to mention. I have an addiction for crafts, no doubt. But, specifically, I would make more cards, give out more cards, and also get into quilting. Sue and I were just having this conversation, because she is working on a quilt for the family reunion. Quilts are just beautiful, and I wish I had more time, and a lot of dough, to make some.

That's what I could come up with for now. Comment about your own wish list.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Ditto on scanning all my negatives and making quilts. I dream of having time to create yearly digital photo albums for my family.

Lois Ann said...

Both of you daughters must have been zoning in on my brain waves... Becky, my list is similar to yours. While it is true, since I am retired from nursing at the hospital, that I have more freedom of choice about how to spent my hours each day, I still have managed to obligate some of my time to others. Like this indexing of the MacGregor society membership records for the last 100 years - but I am more than 50% done so that has cheered my up :-)Then there is keeping up on my own finances & get in tune with a new financial advisor. Did I mention I love to garden, read, then there is all our own family's genealogy to continue and reorganize as new information comes to light. The never ending joy of all these photographs and reliving all the fun and funny times we have had together over the years. I better quit listing lest I get depressed and stressed. I just better live another 30 years or so to fit all this in ...LOL