Saturday, September 20, 2008

Don't Feed the Animals (ummm... Potty Mosters)



My dear, dear potty-training son has decided that he likes using the potty now, and we are officially in pull-ups. However, I think he enjoys the process because it means he gets to feed toilet paper to the Potty Monster. He has been known to flush wad after wad of toilet paper down the toilet, just for fun, or perhaps he is just trying to feed the potty monster gods, so he won't accidently get flushed down the toilet. After all, he likes to point out where the water comes in, and the poop and pee go out. Water is his favorite thing, don't you know, and to him, it's critical to understand where it's all coming from, and going to. It's a water flow thing. I'm sure all that useless toilet-paper-flushing is bad for the environment, but I guess feeding the potty gods is just part of the process of toilet training.

We've had him in pull-ups for a few weeks now, and it all came about because he would occasionally go potty voluntarily, I think especially because there are two other little boys in my daycare going through the potty training thing. I just decided one day that he's old enough to have a clue, and that maybe going cold turkey was the way to go. So, I warned him for a few days that when the diapers were gone, he was going to have to wear pull-ups. I'd been offering the option of diapers, pull-ups, or underwear for weeks, to no avail. So, when the last diaper from the the last pack was gone, he had no choice but to wear pull-ups. Thankfully, he didn't put up much of a resistance. Except for the time we were in Wal-Mart last week and I was buying diapers for Emma, and Connor tried repeatedly to put a pack of diapers in the cart for himself. I kept putting them back, saying that he doesn't wear diapers anymore because he is a big boy. I thought we were about to come to blows over the whole issue. But after a lot of pouting from Connor and stubbornness from me, I prevailed, and the big boy diapers stayed on the shelf. Whew!

No comments: