Sunday, January 6, 2008

Pregnancy Insomnia and Fave Shows

Okay, as I've gotten older (am I in the Old Chicks Club now?), I sleep less and less soundly. I can be woken up so easily, and then it's super hard to get back to sleep. I am the biggest, crankiest, witch of the west when I get woken up too early. Ask my family, they have the great misfortune to have to deal with this side of my personality.

Pregnancy has made the insomnia worse. Sometimes, like right now, I sleep three or four hours, then my body wakes me up, and I cannot get back to sleep. My brain WILL NOT SHUT UP! I just lie there in bed, thinking of random stuff. This goes on for two to three hours before I can finally fall back asleep. I decided not to fight it right now, and instead just get up and do something. Not that I'm cleaning house or anything (cleaning, puh.) But checking the blogs seemed like something constructive to do.

Random topic: movies. Seen any good movies lately? One I rented recently caught my fancy - Stardust. I thought it would be pretty mediocre for a fairy tale, but it was really fun. I liked it so much I bought a copy. Zen took me to see I Am Legend, with Will Smith. It was part drama, part sci-fi, and part horror flick. Now, I am generally anti-horror films. The vast majority of them are just evil trash, especially the torture films. But I find the what-happens-when-civilization-falls-apart-because-of-a-virus flicks interesting. And Will Smith was awesome as usual. Most of the film is about him alone.

Oh, and can I say that Christmas Story is the best holiday comedy EVER? It's still funny, even after I've seen it dozens of times, and I have a low tolerance for repetition.

Okay, people, I know it's a big investment of time, but you have GOT to get on the Avatar bandwagon and watch this show from the beginning, if for no other reason than to watch the evolution of Zuko's character. He starts out as the Avatar's enemy, and slowly comes to understand his true good potential, with his Uncle Iroh leading the way. His part of the story is about change and redemption. Just get over the fact that it's an animated series, and is geared towards children. All the same, it's still a fantastic show, a LOT better than most of the junk on tv these days. It airs in over 100 countries. At my house, we're all dying of suspense, waiting for the rest of Season 3 to air. (Well, maybe not Zen, but he'll watch reruns with us.) They left us with a cliffhanger in The Day of Black Sun a month ago, and it's taking forever to air the next episode on Nickelodeon. Aaaarghhh! Read more about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_the_last_airbender. And do this one for a basic list of the episodes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_episodes. Yeah, we have it all on disk, and watch it over and over. Even Connor has the opening sequence memorized: "Water, Earth, Fire, Air..." It's so cute!

Hhhmmm... I've been awake for a few hours now, I wonder if I can go back to sleep? I know from experience that I'll just get tired later if I don't sleep. Four hours just doesn't cut it in the long run. Hhhmmm... I think I'll go watch some Avatar episodes...

4 comments:

Sue said...

I hear ya on the very annoying "brain overload" that occurs when you wake up in the middle of the night. I'll lay there and toss and turn, knowing I'll be paying the price in the morning. And yet I still can't get back to sleep. Eventually I just say, "Piss on it" and go balance the checkbook or something.

I Am Legend was a totally cool flick! The weird thing is that it didn't really scare me the day I saw it- no nightmares or anything. But then about a week later I was listening to someone talk about it on the radio and then that night I totally had dreams about the zombies coming.

We took the girls to see Enchanted last week and it was actually a really cute movie. Amelia stayed interested in it the entire time. I thought for sure she would poop out since the majority of it isn't animated, but she loved the parts with the birds and mice.

I've been eyeballing Stardust at the Redbox and I keep passing it up, but now I'll have to rent it.

See, your 3am blogging fit wasn't a complete waste!

Anonymous said...

I am in awe that you can function with that much sleep, I can not do that ! Okay Avatar? I have never heard of it... I will have to check it out. We don't have any kind of cable or even the cheapo rabbit ear channels so we usually hit up the library or Blockbuster!

Becky in Wyo said...

The thing is, I don't function very well on four hours of sleep. That's why I hate it when my body wakes up at o-dark-thirty. Oh, well. I was watching the early episodes of Avatar recently, and while they're good for the backstory, the show doesn't really get good until half-way through the first season. The animation and story lines just get better and better. They are still awesome!

Anonymous said...

A big ol' "that's for sure" on the 'mean old witchy' comment, I mean, Meaner than a coupla CATS fighting over a mouse.