Monday, January 21, 2008

False Alarm

This Saturday morning, I began to have lower back pains, and cramping across my lower belly. After several hours of this, it started to worry me, because of my miscarriage this summer. So, I called my Mom and my doc, and they recommended I get a live human being to see me. This meant a trip to the E.R. Oh, joy. I knew it was better safe than sorry, but part of me thought, "I just know that I'm going to get a $200+ bill (even after insurance) for a trip to the e.r., for no good reason." Oh, well, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Better that than a worse scenario. After answering all the standard questions, I made it into a room, where they drew my blood, asked more questions, then put a catheter in me! Why? Well, the ultrasound tech wanted me to have a full bladder, to get the clearest picture possible of my uterus. I had already given them a urine sample, so they had to pump my bladder up with a saline solution. Probably overkill, but whatever. Blah. Uncomfortable, I can tell you. But, at least I got to see the baby, and to know that she(?) was doing just fine. Lots of kicking and moving. It was a relief. But, I just couldn't resist asking if the ultrasound tech could tell if it was a boy or girl. She said she doesn't usually do that in these cases. I quickly said, "Oh, okay!" and left it alone. I felt weirdly awkward, like I was afraid she would think I just showed up to the e.r. to find out the sex of the baby. Yeah, I've got a little pregnancy irrationality going, I know. After my miscarriage story, I think she took pity on me and took a peak at the baby's anatomy, but the cord was in the way, so no info there. By the end, three hours had passed since I first arrived, and the cramping had stopped. Anyway, I left the e.r. glad the baby was okay, but still feeling like a dork. Can't wait to get the bill.

P.S. I think I'm resigned to the whole c-section thing. But, of course, I reserve the right to change my opinion at any given time. I'm pregnant, you know.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm glad everything is okay! I can imagine how scared you must have been.