Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Spelling Bee Girl


About a week ago, Dani won the spelling bee for all the sixth graders in Rock Springs. She was so excited! The $50 bill they laid on her wasn't hurting, either. It started burning a hole in her pocket right away.

Then, this Friday, she went up to Western Wyoming Community College, along with other students from her school, to participate in the county spelling bee. Poor Dani didn't make it past the first round, where they administered a written test to all the kids. She was really upset, even though she studied this week. The irony is, I chewed her out/nagged her for not studying the previous week for her school spelling bee, which she wound up winning, but she didn't do so well when she did study for this one. I find the universe not cooperating with my parental concept of the rewards of hard work. Sigh... But Connor and Emma had lots of fun hanging out at the Atrium inside of the college while we waited for Dani.

The perspective on this picture makes it look small here, but the Atrium is a really cool place to hang out. They sometimes have various kinds of community concerts in there. There is also a cafe, and the cafeteria is connected to the atrium. I found myself wishing I could go to college there. Sometimes I miss the college days, that first feeling of being on your own, and actually being good at it. Plus, I was good at school, so that helped the ego. Now, I have a job where I manage drama queens, settle conflict, wipe butts, clean up other people's messes, and half the time they treat me like an idiot. Ahhhh, good times, good times...

Food for thought - if you could go back to college, what would you study? Me, it would probably be computers and something in the art department, like jewelry or pottery.

WWCC has wonderful displays of dinosaur fossils. Yes, the perspective on this picture is deliberate. Check out Foofie on the floor to get an idea of how big this dinosaur really is.
Another awesome pic! I should blow it up and stick it on the wall. "Ahhhh, don't eat me, don't eat me!!!!"
Foofie loves to crawl up to things and stand up. This is her standard photo face, sticking her tongue out at the camera. She's a spunky one!
I love the metal sculptures they have placed around the dinosaur bones. I'd love to have some in a garden someday.
I love this one, too. The great thing about these dinosaur exhibits is that they are placed around the halls of the main college building. No fees required.
Sometimes a girl just needs to take a few minutes and cry her eyes out.
Dani let me take this pic. I loved the way her eyes looked in the bright daylight. She has the most beautiful color of eyes, sometimes jade, sometimes aqua.
My troops.

End Post #9, 2009

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dani! So what is first on your list that is burning a hole in your pocket? Besides that, what great photos your mom took. It sure helps me stay in touch with all of you. Did you get a video of Emma and her "low crawl"?

Love, Your Grammie

Anonymous said...

Dani... 50 bucks... hello, looks like it pays to be smart, literally! Love the pics... I felt like I was there with you!

Anonymous said...

By the way love the red nails!!!! Sassy!