Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Okay With the Kiddies

Just a few thoughts today about doing daycare in my home. A few months ago I ran across an article on Yahoo that listed the top ten most depressing jobs, and lo and behold, care-taking jobs like daycare made the list. I'll admit I've had some rough days, even weeks, where I ask myself how much longer I can stand taking care of other people's kids and I think, "Man, it was so much easier when it was just me & Connor during the day. I had it so good for a while!" If anything, it's a further lesson in not being so stupid with debt, that you limit your financial options and have to take on jobs you don't really like.

But on the positive side, I can honestly say that I'm glad that I've had to do daycare. I know it's increased my patience, and I hope I've developed a stronger work ethic, more willing to tackle jobs I don't like but that need to be done. Would I do so much, and so well, if I could just sit at home and have a lot of unstructured time, with no obligations except the ones I have at home? I don't mean to make being a stay-at-home Mom sound really easy, because it's not. Just ask Lora, with her busy schedule ferrying kids everywhere across the Wasatch front. I don't envy their gas expense every month. But there's just no doubt that I do more, and accomplish more, with seven to ten kids to take care of everyday, instead of just my three. And there is a lot of satisfaction in handling a group of kids day after day, knowing that I do a pretty good job, that I provide a much-needed service to parents who need help so that they can provide for their families. Right now, most of my clients are single parents who have to work, and who have brought their kids to me from other daycare centers and homes, looking for more personalized service, and a better environment for their kids. Some of them express such gratitude, that it makes me feel good about what I do, and I know it's worth doing. And can I just say, that it really doesn't hurt that I can pay all my bills, buy food and basic necessities, and have a little spare change for paying down our monstrous debt and for some occasional fun. Last week, we got to come to Utah to be with you guys, and we did it with real money, not with a credit card. That's immensely satisfying, and a huge sense of security.

So, while I don't blame other people for not wanting to do daycare, it's working out for me right now. I probably won't do it for twenty years or anything, but it's probably what I'll be doing for the next three or four years. And I'm pretty okay with that.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I see today was a good day. I think you just had to get past that first trimester and then the "I hate daycare" funk would pass. Now you're back in the swing of things and surely baby GIRL Allred will benefit from your increased patience and understanding of the Child Psyche.

Becky in Wyo said...

Emphasis on GIRL... I certainly hope all this makes me a better parent. I think Connor and baby will have a little different upbringing than their significantly-older siblings. Will they get away with more, or less?