Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lazy Summer Evening

I hate the summer heat, but love the cooler summer evenings. Zen and I had our first date last night, in who-knows-how-long. We went and worked out at the gym. It kicked my rear end a little more than it used to, but I was glad to be back on the elliptical. I'm only about five pounds away from where I was before I got pregnant, and I'm determined to keep going, so that I can drop below 200 by Christmas. I'm pretty sure that would take me out of the "big girl" plus sizes department, and back into the regular sizes department. The high end of the sizes, yes, but still, the clothes are cuter and cheaper there, generally. Santa might bring me clothes for Christmas this year, and I might actually appreciate it! A girl can dream...

Anyway, after the workout and back home for a shower, Zen and I went and got ice cream at Cold Stone. I guess that kind of negated the benefit of the workout, but I guess it's the workout that let me go eat ice cream! Muy yummy! I love the Oatmeal Cookie flavor. Add caramel and nuts, ohhh it's heavenly! Did I mention I'm trying to lose weight? Oh, well...

Between the workout and the ice cream, the kids and I sat around on our front porch and watched Connor run in the sprinkler. Gil was asking me the other day, what his favorite thing to do was when he was little like Connor, and I said, "Play computer." Still true. Connor's favorite thing is to play in the water. He loves to stand at the sink and just pour water back and forth, dunk his cars in cups of water, and make waterfalls with the faucet and cups. If I were to sum up his fascination with water, I would say he most loves "water flow." I still get a kick out of looking at pictures of Lagoon last year, where he looks like he's going to die of boredom on all the kiddie rides, but he was in heaven running back and forth in the interactive water fountain near the entrance, where it shoots out water arcs in time to music. He had a blast!


Happiness is...




I love this picture. Gil took it for me last night. He has good instincts, si'?

7 comments:

The Donnells said...

5 pounds to go? I still have 20. That is amazing. And she is looking cuter and cuter everyday.

Anonymous said...

holy cow, 5 lbs... you are killin me smalls... oh to be you!!!!
So, I think that it is sooooo cute how cutey Emma J... always has those little worried eyebrows... whats up with that? Its Okay little cutey, life is not that bad!

Becky in Wyo said...

Not gaining a ginormous amount of weight during my pregnancies is the only time in my life I have not struggled with weight gain. I wish I could pat myself on the back and chalk it up to an amazing amount of willpower, but it's just a morning sickness thing - no throwing up, just a general loss of appetite that lasts most of the pregnancy.

Sue said...

Funny how even working out seems like a good time when you can ditch your kids at home! And as far as the ice cream goes, my answer is always, "I was gonna eat the ice cream anyway, so at least I exercised first to even it out."

We'll have to throw a "199 Party" when you break the barrier. GO BECKY!

Sue said...

Gil, nice use of the rule of thirds on your photo. You've been secretly studying photography techniques, haven't you? C'mon, don't be a closet photographer! It's amazing how a really good camera gets you excited about taking pictures.

And hey, let's face it, the more people who take pictures in this family, the less I have to shoot!

Lizzy Lou said...

Sorry to use your blog to reply to your sister.....ARE YOUR KIDDING!! just because we have more photographers does not mean you have to shoot less. If you think you are getting out of your "photo-queen bee" obligation for the family, you're delusional, and, baby, I know delusional......

Jenn said...

Rumor has it that Cold Stone now has a frozen yogurt that is 25 calories per serving and is quite divine. So now you can have date nights to Cold Stone and not have a case of the guilts. Oh and Emma is so cute.