Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Quitting a Job

Quit my clothing repair job yesterday. What?! Okay, I was sitting at my sewing machine Monday, working on replacing a zipper in this winter coat, and I swear, I thought I was going to have an aneurism from picking out all the stitches, three rows on each side of the zipper. And yes, I was using a seam ripper. It took me almost three hours, start to finish, to complete the project, and I thought, "This is stupid, this is soooo stupid." First of all, I hated doing the work in the first place. And for only eight bucks an hour? $90 to $100 in two weeks? Are you kidding me? Add that to the fact that I know most people do not want to be paying $20 to $24 for a replaced zipper, and you know the laundromat wants to be making money, too. I've under-reported my time on several projects, just because I didn't want to make the dry cleaner's pay too much for an item. Add my time going back and forth to the laundromat. And you know, I'd just had enough Monday. I need to get rid of this stuff in my craft room NOW, and try to set up some kind of recurring sales, and the sewing was just getting in my way. I could make as much with that time, if not much more, easily doing something else, that is more enjoyable.

Then I was trying to explain this to Zen on the phone last night, who was telling me I should have leveraged for more money. But, dude, I just couldn't get across my point, and he pretty much told me I'd done something stupid. I was not amused.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guys never understand, with us woman folk, its not about how practical or unpractical it is, its about the emotional strain and stress that is being put on us. I think that Mom's just have to deal with alot more than just "go to work, get the job done, and come home... we are constantly worring about a hundred things: The laundry, feeding the kids, cleaning the house, cooking bread for the Visiting teachies, bathing everyone, is the homework done??
I feel ya, Good on YA man!!!