Monday, June 9, 2008

Progress... Sort Of

I just about died of shock yesterday. We were at church, sitting in sacrament meeting, and Connor asked to go potty. Huh?! Now, we've been talking about it for months, asking him if he wanted to go sit on the potty and be a big boy like all the other little boys in my daycare. "No, I want change my diaper." He can not be bothered with his body's schedule. Bathroom needs have been entirely at his whim, or when his mother roped him, tied him up, and made him change his diaper. But, just out of the blue, he asked to go potty at church. So, I took him, he did his thing, both kinds, and wanted to observe all the rituals himself - wiping, flushing, turning on the faucet, getting soap, scrubbing his hands, rinsing, turning off the faucet, getting a paper towel, drying his hands, and opening the bathroom door to go back out into the hallway. Right when we got back to our pew, he wanted to go again, and sure enough, I took him back to the bathroom, and he went again.

I had this brief period of elation. "He's really willing to go potty now. This potty-training thing is really going to happen!" My hopes were dashed to the ground when we got home, and Connor refused to go potty at home.

"Let's go pee on Connor's potty!" I enthused.

"Go outside and find Connor's house!" he concluded.

Apparently, he thought he was going to mark his territory at some wonderful second property he owns. Where is this mystical place? We tried to tell him over and over that this is Connor's house, but to no avail. I guess this is just the place where he can let it all hang out, or come out, at will, and Mommy will fix it. Darn it! Now what? Put underwear on him and make him sit on the potty every half an hour? It's gonna be a fight. Something's gotta give, 'cause there's no way we're doing this for another year, not even six months. I'm also curious to see how having a new baby with itty bitty diapers to change is going to affect him. Will he want to stay in diapers, so he can be the baby, too, or will it make him want to be a big kid? We'll see, I guess.

Speaking of which, I can't believe it's only a week until the baby gets here! Thanks to everyone who pledged their support in the way of baby clothes. Yeay!!!! Dani made me (yes, made me, because I hate shopping these days) go out and buy at least a few outfits, just for fun, but I will be really grateful for the big bunch of clothes on their way with my Mom. You guys are the best!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow, I can't believe you only have one more week. Your going to have to post lots of pictures! I'm liking the new backgroud too, although the snowflakes in June were nice too.

Becky in Wyo said...

Yep, lots of pictures coming soon! And, I was pretending that the snowflakes were wispy, flyaway dandelion seeds. That's sort of seasonal.

Jenn said...

Actually with this year's crummy, cold weather, the snowflakes were very appropriate.