Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Emma Jean the Queen

She's here, she's here! Sweet pea baby #4 - Emma Jean Allred. I don't know how funny or creative I feel today, but here's our little birth story.

Mom got into town yesterday around four p.m., and we poured over the baby loot. It was like a mail-order baby shower, with all the things Mom brought from the family:

Liz's fabulous loot. The mini photo albums say "Emma's New Quilt", "Emma is born", "Emma's Family", and "Emma's Friends." And thanks for the little can of "shade breaks."

Liz's fabulous baby quilt, which I love, especially the paisley border!

8x8 scrapbook albums from Mom. Also, Mom brought three big bags full of baby girl clothes, thanks to Lora and Chris! My eyes just about bugged out of my head. Emma will be sitting pretty for quite some time. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

We got up at 4am, so we could be at the hospital by 5 to 5:30am.

My last pregnant outfit with Emma. Aren't I adorable?

Becky and Nurse Grammie. Mom has been there for the birth of all of my children, something for which I am very grateful. And even though I could only take Zen into the operating room with me this time, she got to see Emma just minutes after she was born, as the nurses took Emma to the nursery while I was being sewed up after my c-section. It's been fun having Mom ask all the "nursey" questions, and to get an inside perspective on the medical side of labor and delivery. When she's here, I feel an extra layer of protection.

Zen was brave enough to peek around the edge of the curtain when Emma was born, and took a picture of her arrival into the world, at 7:34am, Tuesday, June 17th, 2008. She was 19" long, and 6 lbs., 9.9 oz. That makes her the smallest of my babies. Gil was 7 lbs. 1.5 oz., Dani was 7 lbs. 12 oz., and Connor was 8 lbs. 8 oz. I thought for sure Emma was going to follow the pattern of bigger and bigger babies, and be just huge, but she turned out to be petite in comparison to the others. Judging by the extra whitish covering (vernix caseosa), she was probably a few weeks early, even though my doc used several ultrasounds to date my pregnancy. But it's worked out just fine. She's healthy as can be.

In the nursery incubator. She had some extra fluid in her lungs, not uncommon for c-section babies, and was in the nursery until just after noon, when she got to join me in my hospital room.

This just cracks me up. "Put me back, put me back!!!!!

My sweetie, and a great father. There's no one better for me.



The more people there are, the greater chance of goofy faces.
Connor loves to pet his new sister, lots of patting and poking.
Dani is just over the moon, and even Gil can stop being a teenager long enough to snuggle her.
The Grammie and her new sweet granddaughter.
All settled in and snuggle-bugged up in Liz's quilt.

I feel amazingly well, so much better than I did with Connor. Just one day later, and I probably feel as good now as I did about five days after Connor was born. I'm getting around really well, and am handling the pain so much better. Several reasons for this, I think: I didn't labor first like I did with Connor, I was mentally prepared for a c-section and determined to get moving asap after the c-section, and even though I quit exercising several months ago, I've kept really busy and active with my daycare, lots of lifting and bending, so I think my body was in better shape than last time. So, I feel great, just in comparison to last time.

Okay, I must stop myself! I'll blog today, tomorrow! Lot's more pics with the fam to come. Love you guys!

6 comments:

Sue said...

Way to go on the delivery picture, Zen! It seems daunting at the time with all the blood and stuff, but change that baby to black & white and it actually makes a sweet picture.

I was just showing Lily the pictures and I commented, "She sure looks like an Allred." And Lily said, "Yeah, because she's all red." Tee-Hee!

Anonymous said...

TWO WORDS.... "Holy Monkey's"... She is such a cutie pie, and sue is right she does look like your cute not so little clan!
And, can I just say that you LOOK AWESOME!!! I can not believe how good you look in those after birth photos, you look so happy, and healthy and So dang skinny!!!
YOU are my HERO!
Love ya, cant wait to see that cute Babe in July... OH HEY did you know that my middle name is Jean?? Awesome!!!

Lizzy Lou said...

Wow, good for Dad...That black and white picture is fabulous. It looks like they held the spot light especially for the picture. That is definately "contest entering worthy".........

Becky in Wyo said...

Sue - oh, gotta love kid humor, especially when it's not intentional.

Katy - hey, I'd forgotten that! She's kind of named after you and Gram. Sweet! Can't wait to see you, too!

Liz - "Everything I need to know [about photography], I learned..." from my sister Sue. She recommended taking those gory birth photos and going black and white to make it classy instead of just gross. Thanks, chickie!

Lizzy Lou said...

I don't know if you get the significance of your little baby quilt. When the three daughters got together to discuss burial details, I donated a new quilt to have Gram covered with during the viewing. The body was transported with the quilt to the crematoriaum. Hopefully, it was wrapping the body during the procedure. The quilt was a mixture of red and pink and light green as you can see in the pictures which were sent with your photo collection box. [Ask your Mom]. You can see clearly the red and pink. I had Emma's initial blankie already completed in the pink and white. So when the "creative fairies" came along, they suggested adding a big piece of pink hearts to the back and bounding it in four pieces of assorted colors from Grams transport quilt. I suppose the meaning could be that Emma has her own side and Gram is part of the other side. They are bound together by family ties. There will never be another one like it. It is for Emma exclusively. Love to all your family. She sure is cute...just like the other ones. Love, your Aunt Eliz.

Becky in Wyo said...

Thank you so much, Liz. I could see from the photo you sent of Gram, that the quilts were very similar. But, your explanation here of the significance of the colors, and what they mean for Gram and our family makes this quilt even more special. Love you, Becky